Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Day I was Conned

I must confess I have never felt so stupid in my life. I have traveled in almost all parts of the country and in almost all modes of transport and when I boarded my train on15th Dec from Bangalore to Jodhpur, it was no big deal.

But yes, this was the first time I was traveling 45 hours straight (because I had to take my bike back to my hometown in the same train). I changed my ticket from 3rd AC to 2nd for the first time and I got an upper birth which I changed to lower birth (I have always preferred upper birth though; but my cabin had just two guys, so took it).For the first time I accepted food from a stranger (as I mentioned that person was to be my sole companion for next 48 hours), and ya ok, we chatted for quite some hours. For the first time I had just 100 bucks left with me during a journey and I really did not minded him paying my expenses (him being a businessman going on a business trip to Jodhpur to seal a deal with Bikaji Namkeens).

So let us talk about this businessman. He knew everyone and I mean everyone in the pantry car; from waiters to managers to the TT of the train. He had relatives at almost every other stop we had. He was on calls for almost the entire time. He was the owner of ticket booth of PVR cinemas, Forum Mall, Bangalore, he was the contractor of food in Rajdhani express and he had local businesses in railways and many other diverse fields. Every damn tea boy and attendant was treating him as he was the Prince and yes, he was carrying 95k cash with him which he showed to me. He was a fat small guy who looked stupid, and more importantly looked genuine. All this description explains why did I trusted the guy and why did I had his food and why did I chatted with him.

Now it was 3.30 am in night that I got up and found two of my mobiles (Sony Ericsson P990i and Nokia 3220) missing and my wallet secure (thankfully it just had 100 bucks ,so the thief must have shown some pity). I told the ‘businessmen’ about it and he said his wallet was missing too which had some 5k cash. Rest 90k he had it in his pocket. So he made me write a complaint letter which he said he’ll deliver to RPF Ahemdabad so that they can track the thief down and he also assured since he is a railway employee, they’ll be more vigilant for this case. In the morning he told that 1 Lakh rupee has been taken out from his ICICI credit card which was there in his wallet. Now he told me that he has to get down at Marwar Junction(a town near Jodhpur) for some work and he’ll be in Jodhpur the next day where we can meet up with my Dad for verification at Jodhpur station. I had his number and he gave me landline nos. of his home at Bangalore and Marwar. HE asked if he can borrow my Ipod for 1 day because he’ll be bored otherwise and he’ll give it back tomorrow when we meet. And I gave him, because after all we had become friends.

Next day I called him and he said he has some business deal in Bikaner and he’ll meet up tomorrow. And we spoke for him on 4-5 occasions on the same day and the next. Finally on 19th, he said he’ll be coming railway station in 15mins and that was the last time I spoke with him. His phone was unreachable after that and I realized finally what a fool I had been. It took me two days to connect all the things and how he played his role to perfection to con me.Obviously all land line nos. were fake.

Probably first time in my life, I have been deceived in such a manner and I am just helpless and can do nothing about it. I can just imagine his face filled with satisfaction, he even pulled the last act of taking my Ipod to perfection, and what a fool I had been the whole time. I know I won’t be able to recover my phones or ipod or my 600 contacts or 1200 messages or pics or anything else. But I just wish I meet that person once more in this life and can get even. Just hoping to get my hands on him one day in future….

In short, this trip is something I’ll like to erase from my memory. Nothing good came out of it except few important lessons that you all can infer yourself.

PS: I may seem really stupid after the whole narration and probably I am. But I can just say one thing about that guy, he was good, fucking good.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

damn... he must be realllly good man!! dis looks like a story hhard to believe this happened with you!!

Anonymous said...

he showed u 95k???

sagar

prats said...

@sagar..yup..he said he gonna have a deal and the other party said to brng the cash along as they dint have time later...

@shuchi..e1 i can't believe al this happnd to me..

Nimit said...

if anybody else would have narrated me this story i would have said " you are a ch*****" ... but i know you and he conned YOU. Bande mein kuch baat hogi .....

ps: jitne bihari yeh pad rahe ho ... kuch seekh lo saalon ...

Unknown said...

dnt blame urself too much .. the whole underlying thread of the story is not that u got fooled(thats part of it).. but it shows that u really are trusting
n although it might seem like a slightly heavy price to pay for it
this is a quality not worth loosing!!

Anonymous said...

dat reminds me of a stry i read in english literature in scool, dat of a kleptomaniac..blah...bt man, ds one's a real big con...i mean a professional he was nd an amateur u were, 7-8 mahine tu mjhse dur kya raha logo ne to tera najayaz faayda hi uthana shuru kr diya :O :O...so the moral is-- beta raaste mein kisi ajnabee se biscuit wagrh lekar mat khaya karo..and of course am glad ur cellfones,d one wid bomb detonator luks nd d one wid multicoloured lights :D, are gone, nw get smthng gud rey...

prats said...

I dnt av nethn to say :( :( :(..u bcm handicap once u lose ur phn..

@akshay.. m***** mil tu saale! glad haan!!gm

Anonymous said...

Damn.....scary!! sounds more like fiction.....!But how could u give an ipod to a comnpete stranger :O ! must have been the final straw ...poor dear :D

prats said...

well every1 is askn abt the ipod...
i thnk i shud av mentioned tht it wz an ipod suffle and my phn wz 10 times mre expensive thn tht, so i really dnt care abt it mch!m glad bcz of tht i atleast knw it wz HIM!

infact i wonder y at all did he took my ipod..he cud av easily gone away with the phns without ne suspicion frm my side..y at all do a thng wch convicts him nd cud av been avoided..

gister said...

oye lucky! lucky oye!
wow man , kya experience tha!!
i think he took the ipod because he enjoys what he does and stealing the ipod was perfect finishing to the whole story.
This is some perfect movie material. There are lot of unanswered questions left too. I think you should write another blog of what he might be thinking in all the different situation(His side of the story :P). Like when he must have seen you.. two phones, ipod, guitar,laptop,etc true rich launda mil gaya usko toh aaj :P :D.
Anyways sorry for ur loss.. woh phone se achii memories judi thi meri bhi :(.

varun said...

lol .... u must change the title of blog to ... " this part of my lyf is called .. being stupid :P " .....

Anonymous said...

abe kaisa noobad hai tu, sholay nahi dekhi tune, "thakur ko tizori khol ke nahi dikhani chaiye thi", 95k the bande ke paas, jo usne tumko dikha diye, abe aisa kaun karta hai,
daal me kuch kala kya, puri daal hi kali thi, sad ...

@nimit, bhai , aisa bhi kya dostaana,
koi aur kare to balaatkaar,
prateek kare to chamatkaar.

KK said...

ahem! prateek ye kya! sethi kya kahega tujhe ab! and btw, some1 mentioned sumthin abt "not fully trusting ur fellow passengers" which i second! anyways..hope that con man goes to hell, that ur mobile explodes due to the battery problems and he suffers! ;) tc man..

Anonymous said...

noobism at its height must say...aur phone chori hone ke baad kaise koi ipod de de...
rofl@aarrreeyyyy aka we-know-who...

Anonymous said...

name of new movie- chutiya no. 1

Oh and u dont care about your Ipod coz it was 10 times less expensive than you phones?? Ultimate!! What a jerk.

But u have courage buddy to admit to and write about such an incident.

prats said...

ya ya i agree with u anonymous(kindly put ur name next time,i dnt mind criticism :))..
well as for the ipod thng goes,i seriously thnk tht wz his misfortune rather thn mine bcz he has been identified nw... guy is a frequent traveller and probably he wz nvr caught bcz nobody had a suspicion on him(nd ths time too ifhe hadnt taken the ipod,he wud av come out clean)..
every1 knws him by his name but no 1 cud thnk tht he cud do such a thng.. hopefully next time he travels(wch he does very often), he is caught..

Anonymous said...

oye waise uska naam tha kya??

Anonymous said...

what do you mean reveal my name...im anonymous precisely because I dont want to reveal my name...you're being a jerk again.

Yes I do hope people like him get caught.
But im not so sure him being identified is such a good thing. For all you know, the train officials are into all this. And if he really is the big-shot he told you to be, then why did he have to rob a petty ipod shuffle...fishy dont you think?

And nothing personal dude..

prats said...

@amogh.. his name is kamal(if at all it rings a bell :D)
@anonymous.. u r probably right tht he has link ups in RPF and railways.. i'l try my best to brng him down..rest nobody cn help.. learnt a lot frm ths trip...
and basically mjhe funda samkjh nai aata anonymity ka.. isleye i'l b a jerk once again nd ask u 2 put ur name :) ..baki aapki ichcha..

prats said...

and fr the petty ipod shuffle thng my guess is tht he must not b literate nough to knw the actual cost of it... he must av tght it to be too expensive nd wrth the risk...

lalit mohan said...

ujust gave me one more reason ............
not to socialize
and totally validated my latest post...which btw if u see the date is not at all inspired from ur post
anyways ,feel sorry for u dude

p.s. there is a line between being nice and plain stupid ,and u just proved it's not that fine

Anonymous said...

lol..kamal..kuch rajkamal type ckf naam hota aur kahaani aur filmi boss...

Nalini said...

yaar... kuch zyaada filmi nahi ho gaya?? so many unbelievable things.. 95k in cash!! and he showed it to u!! good god...anyways, i am sorry for ur loss... and did anyone track the guy?

Anonymous said...

well prateek...
i wont say tht u deserved it...but,
i think God did that to u to teach u a lesson - Dont think that you are too smart for everybody.
sry 4 ur loss...but,
maybe it was a punishment for breaking sumbody else' trust in life.
may u remain happy always...
and, b a better person.